True or False?

True or False? 
In the 2017 docudrama on the life of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Come Before Winter, one of the principal characters, Sefton Delmer, a propagandist working to oust Hitler, says in the opening monologue, “Approximately 80% of our scripts were real news, the other 20%, carefully constructed lies.”  Delmer said this in the midst of World War II, during a time when newspapers and radios were the primary sources of information, yet even then, propogandists such as Delmer and others were seeking to manipulate the truth for their listeners, seeking to present the world as they wanted it to be for the Germans who were hearing their radio broadcast.  They simply provided more truth than lie to make their news believable, palatable.

Radios and newspapers seem antiquated to us -who now live in the age of information, or is it misinformation?  We have information at the tips of our fingers – more than we could ever use or comprehend in a lifetime. Propaganda is the norm now rather than the exception (though you might argue it was the same in WWII and even before).  Our sensitivity to the mistruths around us has become dulled.  It takes so much effort to determine who is telling the truth, oftentimes we don’t even want to bother.  We are jaded against news sources and social media alike, yet we often consume such information on a regular (and voluminous) basis.

How can we know the truth?  How can we be aware and awake (as Jesus instructs in Mark 13) when lies and misinformation constantly swirl around us?  We can rest assured and be confident in the truth because Jesus IS the truth.  In John 14:6, He says, “I am the way, the truth, and the life.” Jesus is talking to his disciples at a time of great uncertainty for them. Just before His crucifixion, the disciples are confused and afraid; Jesus comforts them by saying, “Do not let your hearts be troubled.  You believe in God, believe also in me.”  We, too, can take comfort in the fact that, like Thomas who decries, “We don’t even know where you are going? How can we know the way?” that Jesus IS the way, and he IS the truth.  He doesn’t point to the truth or point to the way.  He is the way, the truth, and the life.
 

No Comments


Recent

Archive

Categories

Tags

Aaron Shust Abandoned Acts 2 Acts Alabaster Jar Alert Annointing Anointing Asleep Awareness Aware Awe Bach Barabbas Barrabbas Be Courageous Be Strong Benjamin West Bible Project Blessing Bonhoeffer Caesar Christ's Return Christina Rossetti Context Cost Crowds Crown of Thorns Crucified Denial Discipleship Ears Easter Economy Empty tomb End of World Exodus Eyes Forskaen Garden of Gethsemane Gethsemane God Story God Good Friday Gospels Handed Over Handel's Messiah Handel\'s Messiah Head and Heart High Priest Holy Saturday Holy Spirit Holy Week How Will You Respond? Hymn I AM Introduction Isaiah Jan Richardson Jesus' Coming Jesus John Wesley Jordan Joshua 1 Joshua Keep My Word Kingdom of God Kingdom Last Supper Lord's Supper Love Malcolm Guite Man of Sorrows Mark 13 Mark 14 Mark 15 Martin Luther Mary Oliver Matthew 28 Maundy Thursday Memorial Mocking New Kingdom Nicolai Online Resources Overview Painting Palm Sunday Passion Passover Peter James John Peter Pictures of Temple Pilate Poem Poetry Poor Propoganda Prudence Psalm 22 Reading Plan Reflection Remember Resurrection Robert Hayden Rossetti Sacrifice Sanhedrin Servant Signs Silence Sonnet Soul Care Spiritual Spoken Word Stafford Stations of the Cross Stay With Me Sweetly Broken Temple destruction Temple The Dream of the Rood Tim Keller Triumphal Entry Uphill Video Watch What is Important William Stafford anger attention awake belong challenge cross cruciform delusional disciples give hesed led astray money offering poverty prayer tax tenants truth widow